April 10, 2023
About the role
Threads is hiring a Backend Engineer to join our Platform team. You'll build, deploy, monitor, and scale the systems that power our product, with a focus on reliability.
The Platform team is a small group with huge impact, vital to the company's growth and success. The team’s primary outcomes are:
- Improve the reliability of the app. eg infra uptime, product uptime, bug resilience, performance, and scalability
- Increase the leverage of everyone at Threads. eg tooling and developer velocity
- Enable revenue. eg enterprise features and billing infrastructure
At 25 people, our company is a small-but-mighty team of product-obsessed makers. We’ve found product/market fit already, and we’re quickly growing our customer-base this year. There’s a ton of opportunity to influence the future of the company, scale + grow our apps, and build features that people use for multiple hours a day.
As an added bonus, we all use Threads for our own work. It’s extremely fulfilling to build a product that we ourselves love and use. This allows us to build deep empathy with our customers and form strong opinions on how our product and platform should work.
What you’ll do
- Build systems that enable reliable and scalable product development, like job queue abstractions and real-time updates.
- Implement APIs and features that are performant and privacy-aware, like search, archival & retention, and authentication.
- Improve the reliability of all systems with monitoring, logging, alerting, and tracing.
- Automate secure deployments with infrastructure-as-code principles in mind.
- Develop tools that scale the output of the entire engineering team, like code linting/typing/formatting, continuous integration and continuous deployment, cloud development, and testing.
- Create processes that mitigate security risks and protect user privacy and data.
- Mentor and learn from other engineers with collaborative design docs, paired programming, and code reviews.
- Write secure, well-tested, privacy-aware code.
What we value
- You have 5+ years of professional experience in developing software applications.
- You have experience coding, debugging, deploying, and monitoring production systems.
- You consider yourself a backend generalist and can work across many different domains on the backend.
- When making technical decisions, you gather requirements, evaluate tradeoffs, and consider edge cases.
- You communicate your technical ideas clearly, with an open mind and humility.
- You are willing to join an on-call rotation. We focus on making the on-call rotation as sustainable as possible. We constantly improve the pain points from being on-call.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with Typescript and Node.js
- Experience with AWS, MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch/Opensearch, Terraform, and Kubernetes
- Experience with React
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and stock options package
- For this role, the base salary range is $140,000 - $180,000 per year.
- 401(k) plan (non-company matching)
- Your work environment
- 100% phone coverage on our business plan through Verizon
- Top-of-the-line Macbook Pro with monitor and any accessories you need
- Home Setup Stipend
- $300 office setup
- Monthly internet bill coverage
- $250 for a new pair of headphones
- Your wellness
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, 100% coverage for you
- Unlimited paid vacation and sick leave
- Monthly mental health stipend
- Monthly gym stipend
- Generous parental leave
- Additional Remote Employee Benefits
- Quarterly stipend to visit SF HQ
- Monthly stipend for co-working space and home internet
- Monthly snack box subscriptions
Threads is an all-in-one communication platform designed to help teams fold time. With the help of our growing community, we've been able to fully and repeatedly replace tools like Slack, Discord, and Twist, for companies looking to get more done.
Being constantly interrupted, losing information, or not being confident that you'll be able to catch up comes with a real tax on your ability to think, design, code, and create. With Threads, teams avoid constant interruptions, the pain of keeping up / catching up, and encourage motion over progress.
How to Apply
Does this role sound like a good fit? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with this role’s title in your subject line.